Dale Andersen sent this message via Iridium satphone on 8 November 2017 at 2:54:15 AM EST: “Hi Keith: We are still at Novo waiting for the weather to improve long enough to begin the traverse to Lake Untersee. Unfortunately we have had a series of storms pass by dropping a fair amount of snow.
When we arrived at Novolazarevskaya there was basically zero snow anywhere….we had a couple of feet drop the last several days and with the high winds (up to 50 knots) deep drifts have formed, especially at the airbase/ice runway. We have our cargo packed and loaded on the large sleds to be pulled by Everest (tracked vehicle like a Pisten Bully) and our three snowmobiles (Ski Doo Bombardier BRP Skandic SWT 550 pulling light weight sleds) have been prepped and now we just need a window of good weather that is long enough for us to make the trip inland to the mountains.
If the forecasts hold, we may be able to get moving tomorrow, but that may depend on how much snow falls today or if the winds cause significant drifting which would keep us here until equipment can be dug out (again) from the snow. But if all goes well we should be out of here by Friday.
ps – when I start the traverse I will see if I can get my InReach to track it for you.”
Please follow Astrobiology on Twitter.